In the traditional style of northern Northwest Coast art, a wolf stares boldly from this made-in-Seattle knit wool blanket by master carver David Robert Boxley (Ts’msyen/Tsimshian). Between its ears appears a human spirit. “My people believe that when animals are out of our sight that they remove their cloaks, their skins, and look like us, they have a human spirit,” says David. Not only are wolves important to David on a personal level—he belongs to the Wolf Clan, Laxgyibuu—they are a critical part of his people’s history and the ecosystem. “We must honor and respect wolves, and make sure we do our part to protect them,” says David.
Known for his classic Formline designs, David seeks to share his culture with others through his work in keeping Sm’algyax (Ts’msyen language), history, traditions, and art vibrant. “Promoting my culture and people have always been the driving force of my artistic career.” While the design on this blanket is very traditional, there’s a special twist. “When the blanket is turned over, the colors change,” says David. “That may be my favorite part of this piece.”
“These vibrant Native-made wool blankets tell a powerful story that expands on the outdated narratives around resilience and captures the idea of Native excellence. We hope each Gold Label blanket will carry that important message into people's homes,” says Louie Gong, Eighth Generation Founder, and CEO.
This design is the first full sized Gold Label blanket in our permanent collection (not limited edition). These blankets are true keepsakes, with an heirloom-quality weight and materials that will allow your blanket, with proper care, to be enjoyed for generations.
- Made in the Eighth Generation studio in Seattle, Washington
- Fabric Content: 100% Merino wool
- Blanket size: 59 in x 60in/ 149.86 cm x 152.4 cm (size is approximate and may vary by a few inches in either direction due to the nature of the knit)
- Colors include red, black, and white
Thank you for supporting Inspired Natives™, not "Native-inspired."
- Spot clean only. If needed, please hand wash and air dry. Hang dry away from direct sunlight.
- Clean liquid stains immediately with warm water and mild detergent
- Never use harsh chemicals or scrub wool
- Steam to de-wrinkle
- Store blanket away from direct sunlight