"Blanket of Knowledge" Wool Blanket
- This blanket design is based on the ancient Northwest Coast art practice of Chilkat weaving, one of the most complex weaving techniques in the world. Adapted by Richard Dalton III (Tlingit) from a classic 19th century Chilkat blanket, Yaakoosge X’óow features Raven the creator. Chilkat robes are used as regalia by the Tlingit, Haida and Tsimshian of the Northwest Coast and many are considered at.óow (sacred objects) by clans and brought out or worn in ceremonies. Chilkat robes feature formline designs—the term used to describe the shapes, such as ovoids and split Us, that make Northwest Coast art so distinctive. Chilkat robes are unique in that they feature curved shapes, a very difficult and time-consuming effect to achieve in any weaving. Traditional robes are made of yellow cedar bark and mountain goat hair and may take a year or longer to complete.
- 2-sided design
- Covers a Queen Size bed (200 cm x 150 cm)
- Suede Edge Band
- 100% New Zealand Wool
- Designed by Sealaska Heritage
- This design was adapted by Richard Dalton III (Tlingit name is Teeykat.aa, T'adeintaan and child of Chookaneidi) from a classic 19th century Chilkat blanket for Sealaska Heritage, a regional Native nonprofit founded in 1980 to promote cultural diversity and cross-cultural understanding through public services and events. SHI also conducts social scientific and public policy research and advocacy that promotes Alaska Native arts, cultures, history and education statewide. Its mission is to perpetuate and enhance Tlingit, Haida, and Tsimshian cultures of Southeast Alaska.
- Recommended care is Dry Clean Only. However, you can rinse your blanket on a gentle, cold setting. Hang dry away from direct sunlight.
- Clean liquid stains immediately with warm water and mild detergent.
- Never use harsh chemicals or scrub wool.
- Store blanket away from direct sunlight.
View full product details