- This beautiful throw blanket was designed by Inspired Natives Collaborator, Kyle Reyes (Hawaiian), in honor of the first peoples of the Pacific to navigate the ocean, gather resources and information, and bring it back to their people. The name "Voyages" refers to the voyage each Pacific Islander and indigenous person must make to connect to their histories and heritages, inviting them to do so with purpose and intention. Rich with meaning, the design weaves together elements from six different Pacific Islander traditions: Hawaiian, Tongan, Samoan, Fijian, Maori, and Tahitian.
The blanket incorporates symbols from these traditions that represent courage, time and space, previous generations of warriors and leaders, the blood spilled in defense of the aina (Hawaiian) or whenua (Maori), and the lines of canoes who journey together in community. It principle colors, brown and blue, symbolize the connection between the ocean and the wood of the navigator's vessels. The blanket's central paddle design comes from the original Native Hawaiian flag from before Hawaii was colonized, paying homage to Kyle's people and the Kingdom of Hawaii.
- Made in USA
- Fabric Content: 100% Cotton.
- Blanket size: 60" X 50"
- In addition to being a dad, husband, and artist, Kyle (Hawaiian/Japanese/Filipino) is the Special Assistant to the President for Inclusion and Assistant Professor of Education at Utah Valley University (UVU) and conducts workshops to give underrepresented youth a platform to tell their stories through artistic expression. After meeting Louie at a Mockups workshop at UVU, he was inspired to begin integrating art with his community work. Kyle describes his aesthetic as urban pattern-based Polynesian cultural art. He began his art career as a street artist in Los Angeles, and over time, as his style has evolved, he says he realized the power of art to communicate stories. Kyle now uses his skills as an artist to connect with and empower young people.
Kyle has been an Inspired Natives Project Collaborator since 2016. Thank you for supporting Inspired Natives, not "Native-inspired".
- Machine wash in cold water on gentle cycle, mild detergent.
- Non-chlorine bleach when needed.
- Tumble dry.