"Guardians" (Wool) Journey Blanket
- We named our new Made in the USA wool blankets "Journey Blankets" because they are the perfect fit for people going places and doing things. Durable and compact, they are equally at home on a trip to the mountains or as an accent to a new downtown apartment.
This Journey Blanket features Louie Gong's iconic "Guardians" design, which merges design themes symbolizing protection and respect from both his Native and Chinese cultural background. The artwork is a perfect companion for those inclined toward adventure! Check out the highlight video we made for this blanket.
The 'Guardians' design is the currently the best example of Louie's trend-setting merger of cultural themes. The primary design consists of 2 Chinese Guardian Lions (aka Fu Dogs) created using a mix of Northwest Coast and Coast Salish design elements. Louie decided to explore this theme after recognizing the overlapping (common) purpose of guardian lions and Coast Salish house posts, which both identify and protect important spaces.
- 2-sided design
- Throw Size (60" x 46")
- Fabric content: 95% wool, 5% nylon
- Whip Stitch Edge Band
- Designed by Louie Gong (Nookack)
- Made in the USA
- Ships in Eighth Generation box
The original 8' x 8' "Guardians" painting was created in 2013 for the Wing Luke Museum's "Cultural Confluences: People of Native and Asian Heritage" exhibition. It is now owned by the Seattle Indian Health Board. In 2015, Louie was commissioned by the City of Seattle to paint a variation of this design on a bentwood box for Xi Jinping, the President of China.
- Louie Gong (Nooksack), founder of Eighth Generation, is a self-taught artist who was raised by his grandparents in the Nooksack tribal community in northwest Washington. He got his start by painting cultural art on shoes, but realized that creating one-of-a-kind pieces did not provide a sustainable pathway to success, and began applying his artwork to accessibly-priced products. Louie’s unique style merges traditional Coast Salish art with influences from his mixed heritage and urban environment to create work that resonates widely across communities and cultures.
- Recommended care is Dry Clean Only. However, you can rinse your blanket on a gentle, cold setting. Hang dry away from direct sunlight.
- Clean liquid stains immediately with warm water and mild detergent.
- Never use harsh chemicals or scrub wool.
- Store blanket away from direct sunlight.
View full product details